Dear Cooker,

I have now come to the stage where I wish to commercially (yet freely) bundle Mandrake
Linux on systems that I sell. However
I find Mandrake (as well as Suse, Red Hat, Corel, Turbo, Storm and more) very slow. I
have settled on Mandrake due to its
extremely stable nature (no hanging & system malfunction in over 40 days of use). The
systems that I wish to sell are
presently Cyrix 333 Mhz, 512K Cache, 32MB Ram, 4.2GB Hard Disk & AT25 VGA card, CD rom
without sound card, for typical office
use.

Yet the systems are slooooooow. I have tried 'hdparm', removed daemons and other
startups I dont need, increased swap size,
removed unwanted installed rpm's, but its of no use. The same systems function
excellently (as far as speed goes) on
Windows-95. Star office takes aeons to load, and if I try development tools like AnyJ,
then the system almost stops.

I have been under the impression that linux is not as demanding on resources as
Windows, MS-Office & Visual Studio. Where
have I gone wrong?

Please help. As a Windows user I have come to love & appreciate Linux, but I am now at
my wits end. If I need to spend more
on hardware like memory & SCSI drives then a large part of the desire to switch to
Linux (at least on the Desktop) will be
negated.

A happy but frustrated user,
Sunil Gupta