LINK WORLD wrote:

> Dear Cooker,
>
> I have now come to the stage where I wish to commercially (yet freely) bundle
>Mandrake Linux on systems that I sell. However
> I find Mandrake (as well as Suse, Red Hat, Corel, Turbo, Storm and more) very slow.
>I have settled on Mandrake due to its
> extremely stable nature (no hanging & system malfunction in over 40 days of use).
>The systems that I wish to sell are
> presently Cyrix 333 Mhz, 512K Cache, 32MB Ram, 4.2GB Hard Disk & AT25 VGA card, CD
>rom without sound card, for typical office
> use.
>
> Yet the systems are slooooooow. I have tried 'hdparm', removed daemons and other
>startups I dont need, increased swap size,
> removed unwanted installed rpm's, but its of no use. The same systems function
>excellently (as far as speed goes) on
> Windows-95. Star office takes aeons to load, and if I try development tools like
>AnyJ, then the system almost stops.

Star Office is a hog- on any OS.  A fact that I think Sun is even admitting due to the
plans to break up the components of the
system with version 6.0 (somebody correct me I am wrong).  As far as AnyJ or any
Java-written program, use IBM JDK/JRE 1.3 and
dump the others.  IBM's Java is so blazingly fast (for Java at least).  In the August
200 LinuxJournal, there is an article
about Java implementations on Linux.  The author apparently had little time to put IBM
JRE 1.3 through the same tests; however,
he provided a small statistic that showed it to be 2-3 times faster than other Linux
Java implementations.  Yet, still only
70-75% the speed on C++.

-matthew porter