Okay!

        I finally got a working install of cooker done from the mirrors, however I
have the following issues:

#1:     GCC is really messed up.  It will not compile any source.  Downgrading
to the version shipped with 7.1 fixes it all.

#2:     could there be a missing paramater in the menu entry for grip?  It
complains about there not being a valid drive.  Launching from the command
line with -d and the device works.

#3:  Device3DFx is totally messed up.  Had to downgrade to the version sent
with 7.1 to get X to work.

Pixel, thanks for fixing the net configuration issue.  Works fine now.

KDE2 is really comming together now.  Thanks so much.

Bryan