This sathurday I tried to used latex on my MDK 6.0 + upgrades...
but it said it couldn't find latex (in /usr/bin ) & I didn't understand
what was the problem there was about 15 file snamed latex with one in
the /usr/bin I tried to remove all the "tex" related packages :
textutils / tetex-afm / tetex-latex / latex2html / tetex-dvilj /
tetex-xdw

which has always failed due to dependency problems (?)
BTW, allthis WAS actually done under "ROOT".

So I decided to rename the file of one package from
        <filename> to <filename_old>,
so I thought I could reinstall the TeX packages onto this install & keep
a local copy in case of troubles. I did that for one of the packages
that had only a few files (15) but it failed because of dependency
problem of the package with it self (!)

Now that I tried to install / uninstall most the tex related packages,
things have taken a bad turn X window doesn't boot up ... anymore.

Could some one tell me what should I do beside re-installing to take
control of the machine during the boot process ?
Or do I have to boot up on a floppy & then on modify things in "vi"?
but then what can i modify, if everything works via linuxconf to stopt
he system going above runlevel 4.

Tx for some hints,

thomas,

--