Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> > Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > They're way too kludgy, trying to navigate through these beasts is a
> > > nightmare. That would be my main problem as of now(though I mainly use
> >
> > Why? They are sorted within categories. What should be done?
>
> The catergories are screwed.  They're either bunched together too much or
> split up so you have to break down 3 or 4 sub-menus before you can get to
> what you want.
> e.g.: Programs -> Multimedia -> sound ->  grip
>
> IMHO it should be Programs -> Multimedia -> grip

I don't know where you found this entry.

In the 7.1 there's no "Programs" category. You can verify in the mdk-rpm
howto, grip is is Multimedia/Sound.

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/howtos/mdk-rpm/mdk-menu-structure.html

The only category that is a little screwed is "Applications".

However generally speaking the apps are foundable without big trouble.

[...]

> > Yes, some things are "too much". Please name them, we shall surely delete
> > most of this "too much" feeling.
>
> Well I've deleted a bunch on my own but let's see what I can dig from what I
> have right now.
>
> These are some gnome menu entires:
>
> IDLE
> Python
> GUILE
> gdb
> pico
> lynx
>
> Those are just a few, but like I said I deleted almost all of the menu
> entires.

Well, we can't do much with only 6 entries :-).

> But above is a perfect example of what not to put in gnome and kde menus.

ok.

> As far as the X apps that _I_ feel shouldn't be there(or even included in the
> distro for that matter), well maybe you should have a vote.  And the X apps I
> speak of are apps like xedit and applications like that which I feel that no
> one even uses, I could very well be wrong on that though.
>
> Another way to help clean up the menus is to decide which app is the best for
> the job, once again a vote would solve this.  What I mean by this is simply
> there's applications that perform the same job.

Yes, but that's against gnu/linux general spirit. Each person have his
favourite app for doing such thing; also it's good to have multiple
ways/approaches to do the same thing.

> Programs -> Multimedia -> Sound -> Audio mixer(which is gmix)
>
> and
>
> Programs -> Multimedia -> Sound -> aumix
>
> They both to their own capabilties perform the exact same job, and there is
> no need for both of them to be put in the menus IMHO, I could be wrong on
> this as well though.

It's because they are both installed on the system. If you perform a
smaller install you won't be bothered :-).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/