Submitted 21-Aug-00 by Guillaume Cottenceau:
> FYI when no ~/.xinitrc is provided, the scripts will choose the first
> registered entry, a.k.a `/usr/sbin/chksession -F` (if exists, else
> try to fallback to icewm, then to twm)

Actually, that seems to have been broken recently:

~ % /usr/sbin/chksession -F
Gnome
~ % /usr/sbin/chksession -x=$(/usr/sbin/chksession -F)
#!/bin/sh

I get the same empty script for all sessions except default and
failsafe.  Without ~/.xinitrc, I actually end up with an unuseable X
session.  No terminal, window manager, or anything.

default and failsafe both give:
xterm -geometry 100x25+0+0 &
icewm

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

Familiarity breeds contempt.
  -- Publius Syrus (42 B.C.), Maxim 640