I had a similar problem after I recompiled a kernel recently, for the
first time after installing Mandrake 7.1.

If you've read the Ultra66 Howto(mini-HOWTO?), there are 4 addresses
that are used (err, you probably only need 2, since it looks like you're
only using 1 hard-drive on the promise: hde, the other: hda is hooked
to your motherboard's IDE/ATA controller).  Anyway, when Mandrake 7.1
is installed, it uses the 4 addresses without adding 2 to address 2 & 4,
which is recommended in the HOWTO (although the author says it worked
for him without adding 2 to address 2 & 4).

When I added 2 to address 2 & 4 in my /etc/lilo.conf & reran lilo,
my computer magically got past the Partition check, so for me, the
original Mandrake 7.1 addresses DIDN'T work when recompiling the kernel.

Example: Here's my original /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hde5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=exp
keytable=/boot/us.klt
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
### original parameters set by mandrake ...
append="ide2=0xffe0,0xffac ide3=0xffa0,0xffa8"
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz-experimental
        label=exp
        root=/dev/hde9
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hde9
        read-only

Here's how I got it work:

boot=/dev/hde5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=exp
keytable=/boot/us.klt
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
### changed parameters to work with recompiled kernel ...
append="ide2=0xffe0,0xffae ide3=0xffa0,0xffaa"
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz-experimental