Dear Guys,

as you have hopefully have seen I have problems
installing Mandrake on a Tekram SCSI System.

I tried the current (09/11/2000 cdrom.img) bootdisk
for CDROM Install from cooker. Everything looks
the same, BUT then I tried something else:

I used a "typical" SCSI System:
Adaptec 2940 PCI-Controller,
Seagate Medalist 2Gig SCSI Drive,
Toshiba SCSI CDROM.

And ... I got to the same Breaking Point!

What I have done:

- Booting the Cooker Bootdisk (doublechecked the same issue with
                               7.2beta1 disk too!)
- Choosed : F1 - text expert

- What Type of CDROM do you have ?: Choosed: SCSI

- Do You have any SCSI adapters: Choosed YES

- Adapter List: Choosed: Adaptec 2740, 2840, 2940

- Modules Options: Choosed: Autoprobe

- Modules Options: Choosed: Autoprobe (again)

- Do you have any more SCSI adapters on your system ?: Choosed NO

--> Error: I could not mount a CD on Device /dev/scd0 <--

I had done the same with my Tekram DC395 SCSI Controller, so it's
not a Driver failure, but a Bug inside the Installation program !

For Your Information: Choosing the Non-Expert way it works with the
Adaptec SCSI Card , but also not the the Tekram DC395, since this
card is not autoprobed when starting !

Eventually this is the key: When the SCSI Adapter was autoprobed
at the start in Phase 1 everything is fine, but if you choose it
later it breaks.

Just again This works with the Mandrake 7.0.2 Installation disk.

Who is the maintainer of the Install ? I would like to send him
a CC of this.

Best Regards,

Daniel