Hi Juergen,

The driver shouldn't be the problem. I made the same test with the DC395 AND
(!) with a
Adaptec Driver. When manually selecting the SCSI Driver it's the same as the
DC395.

There is a module not loaded I think. look at the test I have done with the
adaptec driver:

[...]

When choosing expert at the boot: The tty5 shows following:
testing for /modules/cdrom.o
not found /modules/cdrom.o
try with /tmp/cdrom.o
testing for /modules/ide-cd.o
not found /modules/ide-cd.o
try with /tmp/ide-cd.o
testing for /modules/scsi_mod.o
not found /modules/scsi_mod.o
try with /tmp/scsi_mod.o
testing for /modules/aic7xxx.o
not found /modules/aic7xxx.o
try with /tmp/aic7xxx.o

But when choosing "standard" the SCSI Controller is found
automatically and it looks like this:
testing for /modules/ide-cd.o
not found /modules/ide-cd.o
try with /tmp/ide-cd.o
testing for /modules/scsi_mod.o
not found /modules/scsi_mod.o
try with /tmp/scsi_mod.o
testing for /modules/aic7xxx.o
not found /modules/aic7xxx.o
try with /tmp/aic7xxx.o
testing for /modules/cdrom.o
not found /modules/cdrom.o
try with /tmp/cdrom.o
insmod: a module named cdrom already exists
testing for /modules/scsi_mod.o
not found /modules/scsi_mod.o
try with /tmp/scsi_mod.o
insmod: a module named scsi_mod already exists
testing for /modules/sr_mod.o
not found /modules/sr_mod.o
try with /tmp/sr_mod.o

Could it be that this last module is missing when starting it
in the expert mode and you choose the SCSI Controlle manually ?

[...]

As you can see "sr_mod.o" is not loaded when choosing the expert way.
On the standard way the sr_mod.o will be loaded (But only on automatical
found SCSI Drivers, like the adaptec.  At the DC395 we have a problem :-( )

Daniel