Hi

I had two major "login" problems with gdm which may be due to
problems with chksession/fndSession and problems with networking:

If I update (not install) mandrake_desk and gdm from Mandrake 7.1
but do only include some windowmanagers (no fvwm*, blackbox, wm,
enlightenment) the wmsession.d creates three entries with wrong
numbers. If I select gnome from startup, it choses the wrong number
to start from (i.e. 04gnome instead of 01gnome or 03kde instead of
02kde). This results in either wrong sessions or that I'm unable
to start a session from gdm at all.

Next problem is a networking problem. If networking does not work
quite correctly, gdm simply does not allow me to login. I think
I had this problem either when my network card did not work
correctly or if the default path was not set or if the HOSTNAME
variable did not resolve. Older version show a warning that
the hostname could not be resolved in the last case. I found this
out accidently as I could not login in gdm yesterday and knew
there were some networking problems on my machine. The really bad
thing about this is the fact that nothing at all is logged in
syslog about this problem.

Best regard,

Reinhard Katzmann
--