David Faure wrote:

> My SB 16 sound card is detected, but no sound makes it to the speakers.
>
> Configuration in /etc/conf.modules :
> options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1
> alias sound sb
>
> modprobe sb says :
> Sep 15 09:25:01 faure kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by
> Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> Sep 15 09:25:01 faure kernel: SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
>
> Looks ok to me :)
>
> But cat /dev/sndstat gives :
>
> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver loaded as a module
> Kernel: Linux faure 2.2.15-4mdksmp #1 SMP Wed May 10 14:35:15 CEST 2000 i686
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
>
> Card config:
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)
>
> Synth devices:
>
> Midi devices:
>
> Timers:
> 0: System clock
>
> Mixers:
> 0: Sound Blaster
>
> There's nothing in Installed drivers nor in Card config...... Where should I
> look for fixing this ?
> All the cat blah.au > /dev/audio and other things supposed to play sound
> seem to work (it runs just the right time), but no sound. I've checked
> volumes and mixer settings, all seem ok there.

David
Im sure you already tried this but for me
after 7.1+Cooker my always before recognized Awe32
gave errors and could not be configured properly.

After repeated attempts the final thing which got it
working at boot was sticking a modprobe in rc.local,  i.e.
modprobe sb io=0x240

I had never had to do that before but it workied for me!?
Still get error messages on bootup and installed drivers
and Card config in cat /dev/sndstat are still empty
but everything works.!!?
Im sure there's a much more elegant way of doing it
but IWFM.

Eventually I expect DrakConf again do it all 1? :)

William Bouterse
Talkeetna Ak