David Faure wrote:Hi, thanks both for your input, but apparently the
problem is not in
the
modules, I get all that loaded.

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> >by happy coincidence i have same chip in a similar card (Ensoniq
> >SoundScape, a close relative to the SB16)  and am listening to it now..
> >
> >relevant info from my conf.modules  mdk 7.1, 2.2.16 kernel
kernel 2.2.16-9mdk for me too.
Just for the record my error messages kept wanting "modules.conf"
which I was told by this List was one and the same with conf.modules
though my bootup of 7.1 certainly did not agree, be that as it may
With the working 'modules.conf' I have
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x240 irq=5 dma=0 dma16=6 mpu_io=0x300

All this is sure dang confusing !:(
Here one person has a working conf.modules another
a working modules.conf and the most advanced Mandrake person
of the three does not have a working sb16 which first worked
for me with RH 5.0 years ago !? How do I explain this to
a novice first trying to "get into Linux"?
I did have trouble with my NIC card and pci-scsi+burner vying
for attention but that was sorted out.

William Bouterse
Talkeetna