On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 02:47:45PM +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Reinhard Katzmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi Till!
> >
> > Some remarks to the configure options:
> > The default for my gimp-print printer setting
> > is somewhat strange: 720 DPI driver, 180x180DPI physical.
> > It would be more logical to have 720 DPI both (I would
> > prefer 360 DPI both by default).
> >

> Which printer model do you have?

I have a Canon BJC 6000

> In general, the default options of every printer driver can changed
> permanently:
>
> In the web interface go to the printers page and click on the "Configure
> Printer" button in its entry. On the upcoming page set the options and
> click the "Accept" button of the section where you have done a change.
> Use the "Back" button of your browser to make changes in the other
> sections.

Of course that works, but not from within the application I just use
at the moment. I work around these things by creating three lp entries,
each one for every resolution I use.

> For personal defaults start xpp or qtcups and click on "Options" or
> "Properties". After changing the options click the "Save" button in the
> dialog and your settings apply to all your print jobs (they are saved in
> ~/.lpoptions) including KDE and GNOME jobs (they all call the lpr
> command which is replaced by the lpr program of CUPS in Mandrake 7.2).
> In applications as Netscape or gv choose "xpp" or "qtcups" as printing
> command.

Well I use the lpoptions command line tool (which does similar things,
but for the user, don't know if kups uses that file too). Here I
can define my user default session, for example n-up printing (which
is AFAIK neither in kups nor in the webinterface). My one looks like this:

Dest lp PageSize=A4 number-up=1 ColorModel=CMYK GSResolution=1440DPI
Quality=1440x720DPI
Default lp number-up=2 media=A4
Default lp1 number-up=2 media=A4

The "Dest" was already there when I edited that file the first time,
though the resolution is not used when I use the "lp" (default) printer.
(Not that I care currently, as I have one lp for every resolution).

> > KDE is a little bit ahead, but only with the paper size, which
> > is uninteresting, more interesting would be dither, resolution,
> > paper type, image type and so on).
> >

> The KDE team says that full CUPS integration will come with 2.1. Until
> now one can at least print using the standard dialog. For the special
> options you should adjust them with xpp or qtcups and save them so that
> they apply to all your printing jobs. So keep an options dialog of one
> of these printing tools open so that you can set options before you
> print.

Kups has a really nice printing possibility (though it lacks printing of
pdf files or graphic files). That is the one which I'd like to see in
the most applications. I don't know well what the LSB is doing about
printing, but a API above CUPS/LP/... would be very useful (which would
automatically have all the option which the underlying printer system
supports). I read on the corel homepage that corel (and others) is
involved with the community to create such a standard though I don't
know how much is has progressed so far.

Best regards,

Reinhard Katzmann
--