Hi people

I have been trying to install Mandrake (7.1 and 7.2) onto a system with a Tekram
 DC390U3W SCSI adapter.
The system is Athlon Thunderbird based with 2 a single U160 IBM SCSI hard disk.

The card uses the sym53c1010 chipset for which support is not included in the
kernel, but it will apparently
be included in kernel 2.2.18 (within the existing sym53c89 driver).

In the meantime, it was time for a custom install disk. I downloaded the sources
 and patched 2.1.17 before
building it as a minimal kernel, including the SCSI support I wanted. I build a
bzImage, but sure if this was
correct.

I Raw-Writed Mandrakes 'blank.img' disk-image file to a floppy, and copied the
new kernel across as
vmlinuz.

Booting from the disk, my scsi controller is found, and scanned and all the
devices (CDROM and HD) are
listed. I then get the following error:

Partition check:
sda: sda1 sda2 ............etc
request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted.
VFS Cant open root device 09:09
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:09

Has anyone got any idea's cause I have run out of them! I would imaging that I
have missed somthing
fundemental from the kernel, but what? And what exactly is it trying to mount,
this is a blank hard-disk that
I am trying to install for the first time.

I have tried several kernel builds using 2.2.16, 2.2.17, 2.2.18-pre8 and
2.4.0-test8 all to no avail. 2.4.0 does
not even get to the error before failing.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Nigel