[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eugenio Diaz) writes:

> --- Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed Sep 27, 2000 at 03:44:52PM -0400, Eugenio
> > Diaz wrote:
> >
> > > Was esound compiled again with alsa?
> > >
> > > It does not work anylonger with gnome or xmms ...
> >
> > Which version of esound?  It should work fine...  I
> > run it here under
> > gnome with xmms (right now in fact), and it works
>
> When I go in gnome-settings --> sound and check server
> startup and sound events, and click ok, when I come
> back again they are unchecked; and in fact esd never
> starts up when I log into gnome.

Since gnome is not able to talk to esd, it cancels any further attempt
to launch it for future login..

> When I start it manually I get the tone gradient, but
> apparently no process is able to connect to it:
>
> [nito@fulgore:~]$ esd&
> [1] 24499
> [nito@fulgore:~]$ esdplay /usr/share/sounds/wrong.wav
> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> [nito@fulgore:~]$

Could yoy try version -7mdk, it corrects a security problem and may
correct your problem : maybe esd is not able to create its socket in
/tmp/.esd ...

If it doesn't correct your problem, please, fill a bug report at
https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/

Thanks

--
Frédéric Crozat