I agree - if we wanted to be lemmings we'd be using windows. Redhat 7 is a
box of shit on 2 shitpucks, and now might be a time where a lot of ticked off
redhat users will want mandrake but not when they find out Mandrake followed
Redhat off the cliff!

I understand there's a special kernel compiler or something on redhat because
the kernel won't compile with 2.96? Is that so or am I wrong here?

In either case 2.96 is the wrong way to go.