On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 10:56:48AM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:
> One excellent reason: reiserfs is not yet supported by Partition
> Magic.   The management of partitions on machines used for multiple
> operating systems must be done by just one utility without any vested
> interest in any one operating or file system.   From long experience

Aha, how do I run Partition Magic (PQM) under Linux?  I don't understand
that reason.  For PQM you need a DOS machine, don't you?  So it's also
centered on one OS, and this OS isn't even available for free.  Besides,
does PQM handle BE partitions?  I don't know if the Mandrake utilities
handle those, but that doesn't matter.

And BTW:  There's resize_reiserfs, made by not Mandrake but the reiserfs
guys, so you can make your partitions smaller, even with reiserfs.

> I cannot trust any of Mandrake's utilities that have anything to do
> with partitioning, because:
>
> 1.  There are open bug reports.

How do you know that there are none for PQM?

> 2.  The results of the slightest programming error are catastrophic.

Not so with PQM?

> 3.  They have NOT been out in the field long enough to be mature -
> this takes wide usage for over 3 years over many releases as a
> primary product, not as a secondary tag-along product.

So?  It's stable, is it not?

> 4.  They are supplied by a vendor with a vested interest in only one
> Linux distribution.

But you can use them on any Linux distribution.  This includes Mandrake, but
also something like tomsrtbt rescue disk (if you can fit it on there, else
make a bootable CD-Rom.  Besides: PQM doesn't fit on disk either, so that's
no reason).

> 5.  There is no industry-accepted definition of how partitioning
> should be done.    Mandrake's specifications are unknown and have not
> been published prior to implementation for review by persons more
> knowledgeable than Mandrake staff in the subject.

Huh?  What do you mean by that?  I don't understand.

> 6.  The testing plan has not been published so that we can be assured
> that proper operation across all operating and file systems and
> partitioning schemes has been thoroughly verified before release.

So hasn't the testing plan for PQM, has it?

> The lesson is clear - only even consider using the Mandrake utilities
> on machines that will never be running anything but MandrakeSoft
> products, so that you can call for suppport and obtain results.

No, it is not clear.  For you it is to not use reiserfs, for me it is to use
reiserfs.  Can you call PowerQuest support if you have problems with PQM?  I
don't know.

> I use Partition Magic 5 exclusively and with great success.  Yes, it
> has showstopper bugs - but I know how to sidestep each of them.

Well, many people know how to sidestep bugs in the Mandrake tools (are there
any?).

What I wanted to express with this reply:  The reasons you mentioned are
solely your own, personal reasons, and don't hold for all the people out
there.  Neither do mine.  But unlike you, I didn't even try to generalize.

Alexander Skwar
--
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com | http://www.dp.ath.cx
Sichere Mail?   Mail an [EMAIL PROTECTED] fuer GnuPG Keys