On Saturday 04 November 2000 18:01, Radek Vybiral wrote:
|  On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Alen Salamun wrote:
|  > Hi!
|  >
|  > I have just installed 7.2 and I see more and more font problems (KDE2).
|  > Codepage ISO-8859-2
What are exact problems with fonts?
|  >
|  > - When I started Netscape all seems ok, but then I tried to write a
|  > message (this one) and WOW...Fonts are totally messed up! The space for
|  > each character is not correctly calculated! So when I type characters
|  > begin to dissapear, since the space they occupy is longer then it is
|  > displayed! This happens with size 12 and more. With size 10 it works!
|  > And I have charset 8859-1 here!

Netscape 4.x has problems with support of scalable fonts.
it was acknoledges by people from Netscape (on XFree86 Fonts mailing list)
Solution from their side: use Mozilla or later coming Netscape 6.
Or try Konqueror (Kmail for mails)

Try this test page:
http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html
If clicking on word "here" in sentence "Click here to test Arial font with
your browser" shows you page with nice-looking Arial font (36pt, 24pt, 18pt)
then you have correctly installed fonts (at least Arial)
If not - see screenshots linked to this page, you will see the difference :-)
Probably, you will find in one of these screenshots yours.

I recommend you to take all fonts from your c:/windows/fonts directory to one
directory on your Linux box, run ttmkfdir to create fonts.dir and put
reference in font catalog for XFS to this fonts.dir as first position.

For example, I deleted all other entries in my config:
file:/etc/X11/fs/config
-------------
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts

#        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
#       /usr/share/fonts/ttf/western,
#       /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mdk
-------------

|  YES!! All these errors are in my install TOO!
|  In Czech Republic we use ISO-8859-2 code page.
|  Maybe errors came from KDE2 libs, I don't know...
|
|       Radek Vybiral

In Russia we use CP1251 for office applications (documentation) and KOI-8r
for some e-mails.
But, for some reason CP1251 encoding is not listed in KMail. While I still
can view mail with this encoding.
Konqueror works perfectly with Cyrillic.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)