Alexander Skwar wrote:

> So sprach Leon Brooks am Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 07:33:56PM +0800:
> > Yah, MDK 7.2's update broke one of my systems very badly. Hand-repairing it took

> How did it brake your system?

brake == slow down / break == smash

It didn't slow the system down, it rendered it unuseable.

Amongst other things, it decided it had finished (no error message, just went to
the next step after install-packages) when about 40% of the way along the little
bar-graph. At that point it had switched on all manner of stuff in startup (nfs,
linuxconf come to mind) not useful on that system and removed a few unimportant
items... like network and inet for example. Made it kind of hard to ssh into the
system.

Emptied the font config file (so X couldn't find *any* fonts to work with).

Time estimates were far from sane... never went above 10 minutes, even two hours
into the update at about 30%, started out at 5 minutes and some seconds.

That may seem bad, but I have a recent Windows-ME install to compare with... 15
reboots, 4 of them planned, and still only fixed to problem temporarily. )-:

--
Microsoft has made a massive virtue of "making hard stuff easy";
underlying a lot of the products coming out of Redmond is the core