On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Franco Silvestro wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 December 2000 19:44, Alen Salamun wrote:
>
> [...]
> > What should I do with gimp, imagemagicks, kde, gimp... on server?
> >
> > I agree there should be a "graphical" server install but if you work with
> > many many servers that do their job as internet servers and so on you do
> > apriciate the fact, that you can say install server and you'll get machine
> > with approx. 200Mb disk space occupied and server apps.
> [...]
>
> In graphical server expert install use slider at minimum and if I remember is a
>working install with less than 200MB .... with select individual packages add what
>you want...

My personal opinion is that for servers, there needs to be an option for
"No X at all".

The one thing that screws that up is Freetype.  (It is used by PHP.)  Not
certain why this could not be statically linked though...

When I set up a server box, I do not want X. Over the years it has been
harder and harder to get an install to do that cleanly.  (Other than "rm
-r /usr/X11R6".)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."