> (1)  Save a copy of /etc/X11/wmsession.d/02gnome
> (2)  Save a copy of /usr/bin/startgnome
> (3)  Run Helix installer
> (4)  When Helix installer finishes, it'll restart your X Server. Gnome will
> not be an option, so login to KDE.
> (5)  Copy the 02gnome and startgnome files back to their original
> directories (6)  Rename .gnome, .gnome-desktop, .gnome-private, and .mc
> directories in your /root directory and all user directories. (e.g. I
> renamed mine to .gnome2, .gnome-desktop2, etc.).  The directories will be
> recreated when you login to Gnome.
> (7)  Reboot
> (8)  You should now be able to login to Gnome w/o (many) problems.
>
> The Helix Gnome updates work pretty well on Mandrake 7.2 after following
> the above steps, but I still experience some very minor problems every now
> and then that I can't quite put my finger on (and I'm not even certain if
> the problems are caused by Helix Gnome, or something else).  I think that
> if I had it all to do over again, I'd probably just skip the Helix updates.
>  Most of the gnome packages in LM 7.2 are still current and I don't see any
> major differences.  Your system might be more stable if you just leave it
> the way it is.
>
> RSwaim

Thanks for the recipe... I'll try.

Do you get sound? That's the main reason why I consider using helix.
Since mandrake 7.2, I no longer have sound with gnome (except for the
very first time I login after the install). Even root does not get
sound with gnome, so it's not a permission problem.

--
Jean Meloche
[EMAIL PROTECTED]