David Walluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi. I just downloaded the BitchX-1.0-0.c17.1mdk SRPM. BitchX license is
> listed as GPL. It's not GPL, it's BSD-Style. I also think that the

Okay. Damien?

[gc@bi ~/rpm] rpmwatch -p BitchX
damien

> version should be 1.0c17. Yeah some scripts can't determine that 1.0

The RPM system actually.

> would be newer, but that's their fault, not mine. That's why they made
> the Serial tag.

No, if we began to use Serial in that way we would end up with changing
serial for many releases.. Serial is not clean and should be avoided each
time this is possible.

The fact is that authors release beta software tagged as "1.0something",
but they should release "0.9something" since this is clearly not a true
"1.0" yet.

When XFree release some 4.0.1g version, this is clearly later than 4.0.1.

This said, maybe 1.0c17 is older than plain 1.0 ? But as far as I can see
on freshmeat for example (http://freshmeat.net/projects/BitchX), the
author did not bother to follow an understandle naming scheme.

Also, understanding that 1.0-0.c17 is effectively the 1.0c17 version is
not so hard (provided the user is featured with a brain).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/