Alan Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Jamie Dainton wrote:
>
> >   I've been trying to get my Voodoo 4500 to work in accelerated mode
> > with Xfree86 4.01 Accelerated. I've tried modprobe agpgart and
> > modprobe tdfx but tux racer it still tooooo slow. Does anyone have any
> > hints. The same thing happened with my banshee. I just want it to work
> > so I can play Q3.
>
> Do you have the 3dFX device installed?  What does XFree86 say when it

Useless with xf-4.

> loads?  Sounds like something is not connecting properly for the X server
> acceleration.

Please consult your logs (in /var/log/XFree*) and grep out what it says
concerning "Direct rendering". You'll then investigate why it is disabled.

By the way, if you own a PCI Voodoo card, we have a bug with that in the
7.2.

> Also, what color depth are you using?  Try 16 bit and see if that makes a
> difference. I seem to remember that not all of the modes are accelerated
> with the 3dFX cards.

That's true, you need to be in 16 bits (that's what the installer should
have decided for you) (if you didn't override that).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/