On Monday 22 January 2001 06:25, you wrote:
> At 09:32 PM 1/21/01, you wrote:

> > > Geoffrey,
> > >
> > > It's easy enough to say this, but...
> > >
> > > I updated to rpm4 because there were packages I wanted to install that
> > > wouldn't install with earlier versions of rpm.  Some parts of command
> > > line rpm work and, as far as I can recall, some parts don't.
> > > MandrakeUpdate definitely does not work.
> >
> >rpm3.0.5 and 3.0.6 provided forward compat.
> >
> > > It would be a help to those of us who have upgraded to rpm4 if the
> > > knowledgeable people at Mandrake could release a set of updated rpms
> > > that would correct the fdio problem (and related problems, if there are
> > > any).
> >
> >This is cooker, expect some things to break ..
>
> Geoff,
>
> I do expect things to break, but this one was not expected and a fix would
> be appreciated.
>
> Earlier today, Richard Gilligan reported the same problem under the heading
> "RPM upgrade problems".  He was running rpm-3.0.5-27mdk and got the message
> "only packages with major numbers <=3 are supported by this version of RPM"
> while trying to install "glibc-2.2.1-3mdk.rpm".
>
> If I understand his report correctly, glibc-2.2.1-3mdk.rpm has an rpm major
> version of 4 and, contrary to your statement of forward compatibility,
> rpm-3.0.5 couldn't handle it.  Please correct me if my understanding is
> incorrect.
>
> David

David,
Did You install the newer rpmdrake? While upgrading to rpm 4.0.x I had same
problems, fixed installing newer packages with rpm -Uvh  <package>.
If it claims conflicts with existing files of the same type add --force.
Neverthless I have to say that my newly installed rpmdrake and kpackage
don't work while rpm 4.0.12 does. Look at my other messages
C.u.
Alberto