Hello,

I am using /lib/security/pam_limits.so..  In my confuguration
/etc/security/limits.conf  I limit nproc - max number of processes
for users.
*               soft    nproc 40
*               hard    nproc 70

But, with 2.4.0 kernel it is not working as expected. Upon login pam is
called, it sets limits acording to config file. But if in 2.2.x kernels
root user is not actually constrained with set limits, in 2.4.0 root is
forced for limits like normal user, and it results in "fork: resourse
temporary unavailable, cannot start login shell" error, as there are
more than 40 or 70 root owned processes already.

Is this issue can be resolved easily? If not it at least should be
pointed out for all who uses this. This setting is of course not bullet
proof, but it protects from ordinary users quite well IMHO.

Valdas