On 02.19 Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > This is a feature, not a bug.
>
> It is a bug not a feature. See threads "[Cooker] can't login to runlevel 3
> ...please help" and my earlier post (link in the above thread). The problem
> is, new initscripts (ifup) changed semantic of DOMAINNAME so now system
> assumes it runs NIS if DOMAINNAME is set. It is set on vanilla 7.2 install, so
> it now tries to contact NIS server. If it does not run (I do not have any NIS
> server on standalone system), you cannot login. Other services timeout - that
> accounts for 30s delay.

I had a similar problem rencently and the cause was one other. For some
strange reason, the net-tools package had changed something in ipcalc
that made the init scripts not being able to configure interface 'lo'.
It was corrected, so grab the LATEST net-tools and initscripts.
Mine are:
initscripts-5.60-1mdk
net-tools-1.58-3mdk

--
J.A. Magallon                                                      $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.1-ac18 #1 SMP Sun Feb 18 01:51:14 CET 2001 i686