> Also, I had a problem when Mandrake Update (in 7.2), after
> patching things, services which have already been turned off
> are turned on again. I only need those services occasionaly
> (such as xinetd) and I don't run it everytime.

I ran into this the other day.  I couldn't believe it!  I had
just installed a 7.2 system, and was rpm -Fvh'ing all the
updates that have been released since.  Nearly half the
services I had disabled were enabled again!  Hell, I had
MySQL turned off, and when it upgraded, it turned it back on!

I see this as a VERY SERIOUS issue that needs to be looked
into.  RPM CAN NOT re-enable services that I've disabled!

I've got a nuclear reactor.  I turn it off because I'm not
using it yet.  Someone comes to replace the plutonium.  He
checks to make sure the reactor is turned off, then he does
his job.  On his way out, he turns the reactor on.  There's
no one there to watch the thing blow up.  I don't know that
he turned it on until it's too late.

YES!  It could happen to you!

When you look at it this way, suddenly it all becomes
clear that RPM should not change any settings with
chkconfig.  Period.  End of story.  If you install
something, it should be turned off until you're ready to
activate it, and maybe a little warning echo'd, "This
service has been installed but not turned on.  Please use
ntsysv or some other tool to turn it on."

Now..

During an install, yes, I think some people would get a
little ticked if their system booted up and didn't do
anything.

There are some services that should be enabled by
default, in my opinion:

Workstation installs:
xfs, cups/lpd, crond, drakfont, gpm, harddrake, kudzu,
sound, network, usb, sshd (if installed), xinetd (but
none of the services), numlock

Development installs:
Probably similar to the above..

Server installs:
cups/lpd, crond, network, usb, sshd, xinetd (maybe some
of the services), nfs, smb, httpd, ypserv (if
installed), ldap, mysql, named, postfix, portmap, etc.

It really should be obvious which ones make sense.

We have 3 different installation types, let's use those
to our advantage and select default services accordingly.
And let's make sure that under no circumstances should
RPM be using chkconfig to re-enable services.  It's a
horrible, horrible thing.

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator      [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Web Designer                            [ 1 314 997-7847 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]