On 03.09 Alexander Skwar wrote:

> > Mandrake secure and more responsive because I only want to run this
> > computer as a desktop for either workstation or development machine.
>
> But then, this does not make sense to me.  Why install and turn off?

It makes perfect sense to me, even from the point of view of an expert
installer-unix admin.

For example, I would like the installer to put there proftpd, talk, sshd,
even apache, but to let them peacefully quiet and stopped until I check
my hosts.deny-allow. Until I decide to start them.

I would see perfect an install with all services off, and a big announce
the first time root logs-in asking to run drakservices (if that exists)
or tksysv, or even auto-launching it.

And for new converted users from the evil side, this could be preceded
by a big: "Now you are a linuxer, you can turn your PC into a powerfull
server. Read Services-mini-HOWTO to learn about it". Yes, perhaps this is
the better solution.

And a thing I hate very very much is something that has also been commented
in this thread. Every time I update chkconfig or initscripts (don't remember
exactly which one is responsible), all that services I have stopped with
chkconfig 'cause I do not need them (nfs, rawdevices, kheader, etc.) turn
to be on again. I suppose this will be based on a logical reason...

--
J.A. Magallon                                                      $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.2-ac15 #1 SMP Fri Mar 9 01:46:56 CET 2001 i686