I have just tried the V8beta1 ISO-CD images on this machine and have some bugs
to report :-)

Hardware:
Dual Pentium-200MMX (yup, an oldie)
128MB RAM
Adaptec  AHA-2940 SCSI with 2x4.5GB IBM discs
Matrox Millenium FB
CD-Burner on /dev/hda
CD on /dev/hdc
Zip on /dev/hdd
3Com 3C509 network, SB-16, ?? FM tuner card

I did an "expert" upgrade from a base 7.2+ installation.  Chose "everything".

System was booted from the Install ISO placed in the CD burner (this may be the
root cause of the bug, but anyway):

Problem:
 When the installation script told me to insert the second CD (EXT), it
failled to unmount the first one...This is a gotcha.  I poked around on the
framebuffer console and could not deduce which process was either standing on
the mount point or holding a file open.  Indeed, you could not get past this :-(

Installation was effectively stopped at this point :-(  The rest of the script
ran just fine until boot time when I ran into the already reported problem with
inability to load the scsi kernel module.  Fixed by booting my old 2.4.0 kernel
from 7.2 (I *love* GRUB).

Problem:
The install changed the VGA= kernel parameters to: vga=0x0122 for each entry.
This caused the screen to remain black :-(  The entry I use is vga=791 which
works just fine.  I don't know why the installation changed this parameter for
my old kernel.

Residual problem: I now have a bastardised 7.2+8 melange system - what is the
quick hack method for adding all the relevant EXT CD packages in the correct
installation order?  I've dragged in nautilus (cute but big/slow) and Evolution
(very cute) but I'd like *everything* :-)  I recall seeing on this list mention
of running the installer again on a live system..?

/Kevin
--
Kevin J. Maciunas              Net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Computer Science      Ph : +61 8 8303 5845