Am I missing something ?  I've YET to be able to get rpmdrake to work,
however the plain 'ol package manager works just fine! (of  course, I
AM running KDE, don't know if KPackage works outside of KDE..)

Go into the settings tab, and for the location of directories containing
RPM packages, just put the path to the server, prefixed by ftp:// - which
in my case lately has been

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS

and click the "Use" box.  When RPM startes, and if there is a network
connection, it loads the directory - or directories if there are multiple
ones filled in and checked.  The update tab will show all updates available.
Check  the ones you want to install, click the  "install marked" button, and
off it goes.

Vinny