Michael Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> It would (IMO) be more elegant if the definitive start/stop status was
> represented by the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/init.d - this is how it's meant
> to work (at least according to the chkconfig manual).

We can't change that that easily. Currently, the standard is to use the
"chkconfig:" token: chkconfig reads it and set the levels on or off
accordingly, when it --add a service.

[...]

> 1.  Check to see if service is running ("service xxx status")

Not a definitive solution unfortunately. Do a "service --status-all" and
try to write a script that says which services are up.. There's for the
moment no common way of doing the thing (whereas we try to use the "pid is
running..." / "binary is stopped" whenever possible)

> 2.  Stop the service (temporarily - "service xxx stop")
> 3.  Upgrade the files
> 4.  Run my script to modify the new /etc/rc.d/init.d/xxx script to edit
>     the initscript to reflect the administrator's previous settings.

Upgrades are treated locally to each server (in %scripts), unfortunately..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/