So sprach Quel Qun am Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:16:54AM -0700:
> I had a system with only reiserfs partitions and experienced the same kind of
> problems. I completly reinstalled it with ext2 partitions.
>
> Actually, I tried reiserfsck before that, but I never could recover the file
> system corruptions.
>
> For example, the mtab file would always contain twice the same line.
> I remember seing an out of memory kernel message.
>
> I also had these freezes with rpm (installing several packages at a time), so
> I am not sure which of rpm or reiserfs is the real responsible.

Darn, so it's not just me :_((

I'm also experiencing these problems right now.  Often when there's some
disk activity, my system freezes.  It really may be reiserfs related.  But
it doesn't happen all the time, that's just so strange...

But it definitely is not RPM related - I also had lock ups when there wasn't
anything going wrt. RPM.

I noticed these problems after I upgraded from kernel 2.4.2-16mdk to -20mdk.
In -16mdk the system was rock solid - not so anymore :-((((  What I notice
is that the load skyrockets.  I have tload constantly running on a console,
and it shows that after no time (ie. ~2-3 minutes) the load is already at
~16, if not higher.   Like already mentioned, rebooting doesn't work for me
as well.  I have to hit SAK-b :(

If anyone still has a -16mdk kernel RPM, I'd be more than interested to test
if this really is the culprit - please let me know!

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de