On Saturday 07 April 2001 18:26, you wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> After upgrading XFree86 and Nautilus today, I have found myself unable
> to boot into Linux at all.

Did you upgrade ALL the XFree86 pacakges?  (or all the 4.0.2-5mdk ones at
least)

> xauth: error while loading shared libraries: lixXmu.so.6: cannot load
> shared object file: no such file or directory

> Giles

Now, on my machine here..

libXmu.so.6 is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.2

[shalrath@charybdis ~/share]$ rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.*
XFree86-static-libs-4.0.3-5mdk
XFree86-devel-4.0.3-5mdk
XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5mdk
XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5mdk
[shalrath@charybdis ~/share]$

rpm -qf (file) will tell you what package a file belongs to.

please do an rpm -qa |grep XFree86  and make sure all packages appear with
the same version/build number.  Ie, all should state XFree86-*-4.0.3-5mdk

To be on the safe side, make sure that /etc/ld.so.conf contains a line
stating:

/usr/X11R6/lib

and run ldconfig as root afterwards.

Jason