Please don't write in html :) folks

----- Original Message -----
From: Giles Hamlin
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Screwed my distro :-(

Shalrath wrote:

After upgrading XFree86 and Nautilus today, I have found myself unableto
boot into Linux at all.
Did you upgrade ALL the XFree86 pacakges?  (or all the 4.0.2-5mdk ones at
least)
Well I did, but halfway through upgrading XFree86, my machine hung, I had to
do an rpm --rebuilddb and then when I tried to reupgrade it, I was told it
already existed. I thought nothing of it at the time, but maybe this has
something to do with it?

Now, on my machine here..  libXmu.so.6 is a symlink to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.2[shalrath@charybdis ~/share]$ rpm -qf
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.*XFree86-static-libs-4.0.3-5mdkXFree86-devel-4.0.3-5md
kXFree86-libs-4.0.3-5mdkXFree86-libs-4.0.3-5mdk[shalrath@charybdis
~/share]$rpm -qf (file) will tell you what package a file belongs to.please
do an rpm -qa |grep XFree86  and make sure all packages appear with the same
version/build number.  Ie, all should state XFree86-*-4.0.3-5mdkTo be on the
safe side, make sure that /etc/ld.so.conf contains a line stating:
/usr/X11R6/liband run ldconfig as root afterwards.
Thanks! Will try this!