Graham Percival <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Millions of electrons died to bring me this message.  Was it worth it,
>  Nguyen Hung.Takeshi?
> > hi all!
> > I ve chosen full installation for Traktopel3 (install all packages), it took
> > about 3.5 hours ;) while when I tried to isntall Redhat FisherBeta, it took
> > only about 50 mins ;).
> >  why?
>
> Does the installer tune the hard disks (hdparm)?

Not anymore. Too dangerous. You probably can do some things by tweaking
kernel parameters and invoking hdparm at the beginning of install from
console on tty #2.

> Boot up into the installer, then switch to the second console.  Mount a linux
> partition that has hdparm if it isn't on the cd, then test your disk(s).  If
> they say something like 3.5 mb/s, they're not tuned.
>
> By doing that trick, I could cut installation time for 7.2 from over an hour
> to twenty minutes.  I haven't checked cooker recently, though. (exam crunch :(

Actually you will believe me when I say this is dangerous and can highly
break install on many systems. In the installer process, the priority #1
is to succeed the install, by the way.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/