Everytime you turn beta software on to a new purpose, you discover new
things; my previous attempt at this found a flaw in the file hashing
that collapses the server when trying to fetch too many large objects
(2) --- but I've temporarily worked around it by hashing the
ftp.belnet.be images one at a time.

So ... if you'd like to experience 400k/sec downloads (maybe), all
you need do is hit

http://swarmgate.opencola.com/gate/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fftp.belnet.be%2Fpackages%2FMandrake%2Fiso%2FMandrake80-inst.iso

http://swarmgate.opencola.com/gate/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fftp.belnet.be%2Fpackages%2FMandrake%2Fiso%2FMandrake80-ext.iso

If you can't use those links (due to MTA munging) you can find the
links on http://www.teledyn.com

If you don't have Java WebStart (or OpenJNLP or JavaURL), these links
will redirect you to the download pages for it; once you have JWS,
it will launch a Swarmcast client to swarm the Mandrake ISO images.

If you are the only swarmcast downloader, it is no worse than normal
HTTP, but if you can get three or four other people downloading the
same file in overlapping sessions, you can get speeds up to 500k/s -
if you want to help out other downloaders, just leave the swarmcast
client running after you download the file and your machine will
continue to assist the swarm.

This software is highly experimental; no promises, no guarantees.
All I can say is that it works for me.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com