Hi:

Hardware:
        Pentium III 500 Mhz, 256MB
        ASUS P2B-S (with AIC7890 on mobo)
        SCSI HD & CD

Worked perfectly with Mandrake 7.2 - and then I updated to Mandrake
8.0.  Lacking a CD burner, I attempted both network and hard drive
installs.  As neither worked, I did a massive "rpm -Uvh *".

When I try to boot with the stock 2.4.3 kernel, I get these messages:

request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "807" or 08:07
Please append a correct "root=' boot option
Kernel panic:  VFS:  Unable to mount root fs on 08:07

/etc/lilo.conf contains:

        vmlinuz-2.4.3-20mdk
        label=243-20
        root=/dev/sda7
        read-only
        optional

Note:  there is no initrd statement for this kernel; and there are no
messages indicating that the scsi controller has been recognized.

Anybody know what's going on here and what I should do about it?  Do you
need more info?

Thanks.

David
David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800