I always compile my own (non-Mandrake) kernel for my (T21) thinkpad and
cs46xx works fine for me without ALSA.  Just make sure that you select
'yes' for Sound and CS461x support.  If you choose to include CS461X as a
module instead of directly in the kernel you will need to add the following
two lines in your module.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 cs46xx
options cs46xx thinkpad=1

                                                                Paul
z/OS core components development
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "Robert Nicholson"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    cooker-owner@linux-ma       Subject:     [Cooker] How is sound
setup by default for Thinkpads?
                    ndrake.com

                    04/26/01 11:12 AM

                    Please respond to

                    cooker

One thing that MAndrake got right was the sound configuration for my
thinkpad and since I've had to compile my own kernel I cannot get sound
working. I was wondering how they did it. I've seen the /var/log entries
that use cs46xx and recognise my soundcard perfectly in their kernel and
I've even heard the sound. But I simply cannot get sound to work in my
custom kernel (to solve the mouse problems)... I notice they used Alsa in
addition to the support in the kernel and I've got the same setup also.

Anybody know exactly how the sound was setup in the kernel.

Have Mandrake patched their kernel source rpm yet to remove the Ps/2
keyboard code that stops the mouse working? I'd like to grab the rpm if
it's
available anywhere.