Mohammad DAMT wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 07:10:38AM +0100, Kritifile wrote:
> > and that only worked using Expert.  I've had no problems with other
>
> strange,
> expert mode didn't work in my home installation (NVidia RIVATNT
> 128/Athlon 800/256 RAM)
> it always complaint about cannot find hdlist or something
> when I switch to console #4 or #3, it said that it couldn't
> mount / partition, no such file or directory...
>
> in non-expert mode, it worked well

Stranger still. I haven't attempted anything but expert mode since the
first time my 7.0 system froze. Bit with beta 3 (and maybe the others,
didn't try them) I had a segfault in the text install mode, when trying
to give details of my network (modem) connection. In all 8.0 betas it
just does nothing, as reported here, but using expert text install I had
a segfault at that point. Could that be why it doesn't work? When I
switched to console 3 at that point in graphical install it said it had
failed.
In a couple of days I'll have the download release version. I've
downloaded menu, mdk menu-udpate and mdk kde 2.1.1 and I'm hoping that
has cured the use of all memory and swap space, with disk thrashing,
that I experienced with beta 2 and 3.

Has anyone reported the X installation freezing to the bug list on the
mdk web site? I don't seem to be able to find anything there and it is a
big problem I think, affecting maybe all S3 video cards and maybe a lot
more.

--
Lesley Lawless