On Wednesday, May 09, 2001, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Updating an Mdk 7.2 to 8.0 system has always crashed out (tried on three
> different systems now) and always left the system in an unusable state.
> The option to update an existing ``live'' system piece-by-piece Debian
> style would be good, but to do this you would have to redefine a lot of
> packages to be less specific about what dependent packages they require.
> Maybe for 8.1?

I'm no expert or anything, but from what I've read, a LOT of libraries
and such have been changed in 8.0, hence the 7.2 -> 8.0 problems.  This
was apparantly done to make updates in the future much better.  So
hopefully a 8.0 -> 8.1 or an 8.x -> 9.0 will be much easier.

I've decided to just back stuff up and repartition when I update either
this weekend or next week.  I have an iching to try ReiserFS anyway. =)

[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ#: 25370820, OpenPGP key at www.keyserver.net
1024D/39F0BBF4     2024 B7CB 10BF 6BE7 2ECE  E0FD 1360 0181 39F0 BBF4

Current Linux uptime: 4 days 3 hours 44 minutes.