Again, there are no Windows update service packs, or other
Windowsupdate critical updates that modify a volumes MBR.  To
do so might interfere with the existing Windows boot (or
alternative method used to boot windows) and create a totaly
unbootable system.

If you can recall the instance where the MBR was corrupted or
damaged, or more spificaly, WHICH crticial update you installed
created the problem, reporting it as a "bug" to Microsoft would
be a prudent step.

To report a critical update bug, use the Windows report tool in
the System Information application (Programs/Accessories/System
Tools/System Information).

---- On Thu, 10 May 2001, Simon Peter Nicholls
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I've had exactly the same corruption we're talking about on
two of my
> machines, but they were both running win98 second edition
plus updates.
> No amount of fiddling would fix the partitions. At the time I
had my
> suspicions it was scandisk doing the dirty deed. Now I keep
windows
> trussed up in a little virtual machine file - only need it
for
> Dreamweaver ultradev now.
>
> I tried to find a utility to "lock" the partition table when
running
> under windows but failed - anyone know anything?
>
> Cheers,
> Si.
>
> JJ wrote:
>
> >     Same here, I've had Mandrake on my other partition
(ext2) since
> > win95<--->winME, and have used windows update with no
problems,