I tried learning how Linux (or Unix) deals with time several months
ago.  It was confusing.  IIUC, Linux considers the "software clock" (the
clock run by the CPU by adding ticks to it periodically) to be more
accurate than the hardware clock (run by a battery and crystal
oscillator without influence of the CPU, and commonly intended to keep
time when the computer is off).  (The discussion seemed very old, but
???)

I could be very confused, but if that is true, remember that the CPU can
miss a tick every once in a while if it's busy doing other things.  (At
least that was true at one time.)

Anyway, can someone unconfuse me, and give us all the straight scoop on
how Linux keeps time.

BTW, some other parts of the discussion touched the point that in at
least some applications it's more important to have a monotonically
increasing clock than extreme accuracy -- what does a process do that
depends on time if it finds that time has suddenly jumped back a few
seconds when it resynched with a hardware clock?

Thanks,
Randy Kramer