"R.I.P. Deaddog" wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, guran wrote:
>
> > I was going to do some math and wanted to look at Octave, but I had unsolved
> > depencies in both Mdk 8.0 and 8.1.
> >
> > [root@Archimedes contrib]# rpm -ivh octave-2.0.16-10mdk.i586.rpm
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >         libstdc++-libc6.2-1.so.2 is needed by octave-2.0.16-10mdk
> >
> > With regard to the very restricted math libraries used in octave it is
> > perhaps not so easy to change library - but even if old it could be in
> > contrib.
>
> Seems octave 2.0.16 was WAY too old. octave 2.1.x was there for quite long
> time ago. But probably because not many people here cared about scientific
> calculation so nobody was paying attention to this package.

That's not true. We've plenty of scientific applications and we pay
attention to them. For instance we have also R in the main distrib, as
well as OpenDX, etc.; we were also evaluating about scilab 2.6 for main (but
the license it's not much clear so it's still 2.5 for now in contrib). grace
is another example of scientific applications (now don't send me the
kachinatech list... ;-)), and mupad is in the Application CDs of the powerpack.

Regarding octave 2.0.17 is the latest stable version. 2.1.x are "development" version.
So the problem is not the oldness of octave 2.0.X, but the oldness of the
development 2.1.X version which was not turned yet in stable "release"

Bye.
Giuseppe.