On Tue Jul 24, 2001 at 05:48:52PM -0700, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> > This question has been answered long ago and the answer is yes.
>
> I think we all know that answer.  Yes starts to be belived as no when
> it doesn't actually get followed up on with action however.
>
> How long has an 8.0 update kernel been "coming" for?  It may sound
> harsh, but IMHO, kernel building resources (people, server, whatever)
> have no business working on "test" or "beta" kernels while there are
> customers whose production systems are being impaired due to buggy
> production kernels.

A while... unfortunately.  The problem is that 2.4 is still really new
so fixes are being introduced all of the time, as are bugs.  I think
the kernel team is trying to find a happy medium where the kernel is
stable and works without newly introduced bugs.  The best way to test
this is via cooker, which is why cooker kernel development is so
fast-paced.

> > The
> > next (obvious) question is when,
>
> Indeed.   From the day it was determined that an update kernel was
> needed, all kernel resources should have been put towards an update
> kernel for production systems rather than test/beta kernesl.  Sure as
> work goes, update work is nowhere near as exciting as work with the
> bleeding edge, but there are people who are depending on you folks to
> keep their production systems workable.

I agree, to some extent.  The best/test kernels are needed to find a
good kernel to supply for 8.0 updates.  Again.. because 2.4 is still
relatively new, bugs are introduced and fixed with each new revision.
We have to find the best kernel to update with.  It does no one any
good if we release a kernel in updates to just have to do it again
right away due to another bug.

> > and I cannot answer that since I am
> > not in charge of the kernel.  But there will definately be a kernel
> > update for 8.0.
>
> WHEN?

To be honest, I can't say.  I'm not the one working on the kernel...
I will try to find out, or at least find out an estimated ETA, but
since I'm not the one working on the kernel, I don't want to give out
false information.

> I really really really DO NOT want to see another Cooker kernel until
> there is an updated production kernel.  Sounds like the kernel "guy"'s
> manager needs to set some priorities and objectives.

Not at all true.  Cooker is the vehicle used for finding a stable
kernel.  Cooker is absolutely necessary in order to find a good
kernel.  To all of a sudden stop utilizing cooker and the many testers
who test the kernels will cause problems in the long run.

> (Not that *I* personally care about all of this -- I just put the last
> known good Cooker kernel on the production system -- but it does foul
> up update tools like MandrakeUpdate -- which is brokenism of a
> different matter altogether)

Fair enough, but many people do care about this (myself included).
I'll find out what I can from the kernel team and see if we can't get
something into updates as soon as possible.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.3-20mdk-win4lin uptime: 4 days 23 hours 30 minutes.

PGP signature