Hi

>> A while... unfortunately.  The problem is that 2.4 is still really new
>> so fixes are being introduced all of the time, as are bugs.

brian> Understood.

Thanks for your comprehension.  Notice that althought I don't allways
answer mails here, I normally read all the mails here (and now I get
too many email to be able to answer all of them, I try to do my best).

brian> So none of the kernels that have come out in Cooker since 8.0 was
brian> released were good enough?

There have been a lot of problems there :(((

brian> I guess I question whether none of the dozens of kernels that have
brian> come out in Cooker have been stable enough for general release.

Not directly, it is a pity, but cooker moves _too_ fast for the stable
distribution :(  I have worked a lot to make the kernel rpm more
comphrensible, easy to modify, but we aren't still there :(  this work
will pay in the medium/long run, but while :(((

brian> Agreed completely!  Again I question the fact that not a single of the
brian> dozens of the kernels released to Cooker have been stable enough.  I
brian> surely agree that some of them were not suitable, but at least one of
brian> them has to have been better than what is in 8.0.

It appears that next will be good for the update.

brian> I know.  I think the question was to all of MDK, not necessarily you
brian> Vince.  I appreciate you chiming in and giving us some insight.

ok, I take notice

brian> I understand that too.  I just suspect that more time and attention
brian> needs to be paid to whether each kernel release really is stable or
brian> not.  I don't know if this is the case, but it seems that each kernel
brian> is getting cranked out just to get the latest one out (this is the
brian> good part) there without any time being taken out to decide if the
brian> last release was actually stable enough for general release (this is
brian> the bad part).

Taking info on that.  Nope, there are two problems here, for getting a
new kernel I can:
    - put an old kernel for testing purposes (cooker users protest
      that cooker is only for the bleeding edge stuff).
    - If I put all the new features in the kernel, the kernel is very
      bleeding edge, but not everything works (stay in the bleeding
      edge has this problems).

And notice that this don't work for everybody, as what ones people
want in the bleeding edge, others don't need at all.  To make one
example
        I only use X for getting xterms & emacs, that means that I
don't need the last version at all, because I don't need the 3d
features (don't use it at all),  I preffer a version that is stable
and able to stay up for months without having to restart X. 3d users
(gamers or scientific) really preffer good 3d support, indeed if the
version is a bit buggy and hangs once a day, for everything there are
compromises :((

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy