On 25 Jul 2001 13:00:23 -0400, David Walluck wrote:

> I also would like to see it not echo back any stars when you enter your
> password. The console has always done this, and no one has complained. I
> am certainly for this option for security reasons, so maybe it should be
> set by the security level. I am just afraid that newbies who have never
> used console will complain and think that their password is not being
> entered at all.

I'd rather that it echoed back a random number of stars, instead of not
echoing them back at all.  As you said, newbies would think it's not
being typed at all.  If it echoed back a random number of stars, they'd
know it's typing something.

You want to make things as easy as possible for the newbie, but you also
want to make things as easy as possible for the SysAdmin who has to
support them, and whose phone will ring off the hook from newbies
calling him for help.

RSS