On 02 Aug 2001 21:03:05 +0200
Yves Duret <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Grégoire Colbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I haven't sent anything to this list since a very long time, so I
hope I'm not
> > bothering anyone with this question : is there a chance to get an
easy
> > installation of scanners in Mandrake in the near future? At the
moment,
> > configuring a (parallel) scanner with SANE is not a beginner task.
>
> that's clear..
> but we are working on it. trying to have some automatical thnigs for
usb
> first.
> but i would like to know, who, in cooker, have a scanner and give me
what model,
> brand, connection (usb, parallel, scsi), the problems you had when,
the first
> time you tried to configure sane...

I use a microtek (2) scanmaker 630, connected with a buslogic bt930
scsi card.
sane output:
device `microtek2:/dev/sg2' is a Microtek ScanMaker 630 / ScanMaker
V600 flatbed scanner
cdrecord -scanbus  output:
1,6,0   106) '        ' 'Scanner 600A4   ' '2.21' Scanner

The scanner wasn't on during install, but the card got recognized.
I had to add "/dev/sg2" to /etc/sane.d/microtek2.conf to get scanimage
recognize it.

One odd thing was, that if it was put on the last line, it wasn't
recognized.
If there was an empty line after that, or a comment (#) line after it,
it would get recognized.

Also, my previous microtek (scsi1) scanner was a parport scanner.
It's a Pagewiz sheetfed scanner.
I had to patch the kernel with the ppscsi patch from
http://www.torque.net/parport to get the kernel recognize it.
These kernelmodules support chipsets which do some sort of scsi over
parport. This is mostly for microtek parport scanners and older hp
parport scanners. I wouldn't know other brands/models of scanners
which need these modules.
According to the maintainer of the patch, it should not touch too much
of the kernel.
It could be a good idea to integrate it into the mdk kernel.
Sane recognizes it as a /dev/sgx
It was my first kernel patch, and it was a good learning experience,
but it also was kindda hard to stay motivated.

Last week someone on irc asked for help for an epson usb scanner.
The modules were loaded automagically, but scanimage -L  didn't list
the scanner.
It should have been recognized through /dev/usb/scanner0.
The epson.conf contained a line:
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
which didn't do much.
There were 2 options here:
1. make a symlink from /dev/usb/scanner0 to /dev/usbscanner0 and
remove the # in epson.conf.
2. add the line "usb /dev/usb/scanner0" to epson.conf.
I would choose the second option, because xsane doesn't always like
symlinks, where scanimage doesn't see a problem with them.
It might be a good idea for mdk to have a /dev/usbscanner0 too,
because that's where sane (at least epson) defaults to.

--
Marcel Pol
[EMAIL PROTECTED]