On 04 Aug 2001 02:54:58 -0400, Willum wrote:
> Well, here goes::
> I bought a Kodak DC3200 dig. cam. around Christmas time, and it is supported
> in GPhoto 2.0-- which is still beta, and the camera won't work in it
> corrrectly. really not at all.
>
> But, I have LexarMedia Jumpshot USB CompactFlash reader, and I know that
> this is probably a dumb question, but where's the support for USB media
> devices like my Lexar?  Winblows turns this device into a Removable Media
> drive from where I can pull off the pictures, so what do I have to do
> to get the pictures off the Flash card in Linux?  GPhoto has nothing
> for it.  Suggestions, answers?  I see no real support for them in Linux,
> and I know that this is something that Winblows people are accustomed
> to using, and it makes since to bring such functionality to Linux anyways-~-

I've not used the Lexar stuff, but can report that the SanDisk SDDR-31
USB reader works out of the box.  Check http://www.linux-usb.org - I
note that no Lexar products are supported and have comments like "Lexar
uses a proprietary command set to communicate with this device." :-(  On
the basis of the list there, I bought the SanDisk reader/writer...

I'm no USB expert, but on MDK 8.0 (+assorted Cooker, but I don't think
that impacts..) I had to insmod the usb-storage module.  Once I did
that, /dev/sda became a scsi-emulation of the ide compact flash accessed
over USB (!).  Fast(ish), simple and it worked.

I hasten to add that the CF didn't come out of a camera, I was simply
blasting a bootable linux system on it to act as a router on an old PC I
have...but I'd imagine the principle is identical.

Hope this helps (I guess it doesn't, much)
/Kevin
--
Kevin J. Maciunas              Net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Computer Science      Ph : +61 8 8303 5845