From: "Vincent Danen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] ReiserFS killed my /var

This is really odd... I've been using reiserfs almost exclusively
since 7.2 on all my machines.  The only partition that I don't use it
for is /var because I run qmail on all my machines and there was an
issue with qmail and reiserfs in the past (no idea if it's fixed, but
/var being ext2 is a matter of habit now).

Anyways, I've had a number of power outtages despite having UPS's with
the systems all of a sudden going down.  I may have lost the odd file
occassionally, but certainly never an entire partition.  Considering
this is on about 5 machines all showing the same thing, I'm a little
hesitant to think it's reiserfs *alone*.  Maybe there is something
with the files on /var that causes this problem (again, maybe if I had
reiserfs /var partitions I would have experienced the same thing, I
don't know).

I do know that I have never lost more than a handful of files and I've
got many reiserfs partitions across various systems.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.3-20mdk-win4lin uptime: 10 days 22 hours 51
minutes.