Will Smith wrote:
> Le Vendredi 17 Août 2001 06:29, vous avez écrit :
>
>>Will Smith wrote:

>>>If you don't want to use DevFS, remove the devfsd package :
>>>$]$ rpm -e --nodeps devfsd
>>>
>>>normally everything will be fine.
>>>
>>You can't remoce devfsd because it is requires by kernel. If you do not
>>want to use devfs do not mount it. Very simple. It is not mounted by
>>default so almost the only difference between old and new kernel is
>>/proc/partitions that is using new names even if devfs is not mounted.
>>

> that's why I use --nodeps, and It works fine.

You missed the point. devfsd has *nothing* to do with the fact that you
are actualy using devfs. See reply of Pixel - now they mount devfs by
default.

Actually in this case if you remove devfsd you are in much worse
situation - devfsd provides you with compatibility device names that are
missing with devfs pure.

> The only drawback for the new kernel : theses sh.. of nvidia drivers that
> completly hang my system, even if I use agpgart.

You mean, nVidia works without devfs but hangs with devfs? With all
other conditions alike? Too bad for them. Have you tried bug report?
(Yes, they normally do not answer, but they do fix bugs. Of course, it
may take awhile).

> I think I will use cooker kernel with devfsd enable and nv drivers and boot
> under windows for 3D and Games, unfortunately.

Not devfsd, for God's sake! :-) Remove devfs=mount from boot flags and
see if it helps.

-andrej